Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Project - Altered Jigsaw Puzzle Pin

By Bevlea Ross

This month is an altered jigsaw puzzle piece.I  made mine from a piece of a child's jigsaw puzzle (because the pieces are a lot larger than 'grownup' jigsaw puzzle pieces), but you could also use the commercially available blank chipboard puzzle bits.

I added a pin on the back to wear as a brooch - but it could also be a fridge magnet if you added one of the heavier magnets (not the flat sort)

These make great gifts as you can make a batch of them up at once and have them handy for unexpected occasions - as well as using up odd bits and peices and beads etc., that you only have one or a few of....

Requirements:
  • Child's jigsaw puzzle bits (you can usually pick these up cheap in the Oppies... (Thrift shops)  
  • 2-3 acrylic paints (I like Lumiere  but you can use any paint)
  • 1/2" Flat brush
  • Black Ink pad (doesnt matter if its dye or solvent ink)
  • Collage type Rubber Stamp
  • Beading wire in a colour to match your paint
  • Jump Rings
  • Charms
  • Beads
  • Pin back or magnet
  • Micro Beads
  • Dimensional Magic
  • Strong Glue
  • Darning Needle
  • Needle nose pliers


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial. It's very inspirational. I like your pieces a lot. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, here is my try at this challenge. I hope its ok
    Hugs June x

    ttp://junesartyretreat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing these. They are beautiful. I have yet to attempt altering jig saw pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are great. Different and very clever, you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these are such fun and I have made one here:

    http://alteredartandstuff.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/altered-puzzle-pins-2cre8art/

    Thanks for such detailed instructions - they are so helpful and I have been happily participating and trying to encourage others to follow suit. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thankx ladies for the inspiration. i've only done a couple of altered puzzle pieces and it was great to try a new technique. my piece is on my blog.
    http://melzscrappyjunk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have never seen such beautiful puzzle pieces of art, just wonderful! This is something I have not tried yet.
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog today it is really appreciated.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to post again, I didn't realise at first this was a challenge blog and a monthly one at that. Hopefully I can find a childs puzzle at the thrift shop and give this a try :) Thank you too for the pdf file of your step by step instructions :)
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Here is my entry for this month:

    click here

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful pieces ladies
    mine is on my blog
    (oopps..posted in the wrong spot again!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great theme - mine are on my blog here
    TFL!

    http://magickdiva.blogspot.com/2009/03/one-powerful-hour-im-guest-designer.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project, easy instructions and fun to make. Mine are on my blog...
    http://margaretweiss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your monthly challenges and the detailed step-by-step instructions in pdf! You make it so easy to follow. I tried altering a jigsaw puzzle piece and mine is posted on my blog. http://a-rbnsnest.blogspot.com/2009/03/altered-jigsaw-puzzle-piece-at-2cre8art.html

    Thanks again for your wonderful blog!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you don't mind but I did another piece and posted it to my blog under the same entry as the other piece! I used an embossing folder and ran it through the Big Shot and it turned out so cool that I had to share!! I am having so much fun....thanks again for the inspiration and great blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments and feedback - it makes it all worthwhile... see... we're smiling... thankyou!